Elbe Trail (cycle route No. 2, EuroVelo 7).
Elbe trail offers a route with more than 90 km in the Bohemian Central Mountains.
The Elbe trail starts in Štětí, it leads over Roudnice nad Labem, Terezín, Litoměřice, Velké Žernoseky, Ústí nad Labem, Děčín, and it ends in Dolní Žleby. It then continues to Germany.
Individuals and families with children will find sports activities here in the form of one-day or multi-day trips.
Explore the beauties of Libochovice Castle.
Libochovice Chateau is a popular tourist destination, located in the picturesque landscape of the lower Poohří, bordered by the romantic hills of the Bohemian Central Mountains.
The chateau is one of the most important early Baroque buildings in Bohemia. It was built between 1683 and 1690 by the Italian builder Antonio della Porto. There is an indicative interior exhibition, which represents a cross-section of individual historical styles and styles.
The exhibition contains rich collections of porcelain, collections of rare wall tapestries, paintings and original Baroque tiled stoves. At the castle there is a large park, which consists of a French garden and a natural landscape park.
Another of the castles in our area that you can visit is clearly the picturesque Ploskovice castle. The castle is located just 10 km from Terezin and is a popular tourist destination.
Ploskovice Castle was built as a summer residence by Grand Duchess Anna Marie Františka Tuscany in the first quarter of the 18th century.
Originally it was a smaller chateau, nevertheless its demanding Baroque decoration was made by the most important Prague artists, the painter V. V. Reiner and plasterer T. Soldatti. In the middle of the 19th century, the chateau became the private residence of the retired Emperor Ferdinand V.
Habsburg, the last crowned Czech king. On this occasion, the castle was raised by a floor and overall renovated.
The sculptors and plasterers V. Levý and M. Effenberger designed the sophisticated interiors of the Second Rococo style, and the beautiful paintings are the work of Josef Navrátil, one of the most important painters of Czech Romanticism.
In addition to newer artistic accessories, however, the older stucco decoration has been preserved, especially in the sala terrena area.
Are you a lover of castles and ruins? So be sure to visit the ruins of Házmburk Castle, located 20 km from Terezín.
The ruins of the Gothic castle Házmburk, together with the highest mountain in the Bohemian Central Mountains, Milešovka, create an unmistakable backdrop to the lower Poohří.
Two characteristic majestic towers belong to the unmissable landmarks of the landscape and you can see them at a distance of several tens of kilometers. They rise on top of a steep basalt massif and recall the lost glory of an impregnable Gothic castle. According to archeological findings, the hill, which reaches a height of 418 m, was inhabited as early as the 5th millennium BC by people of culture with pottery.
The massive castle on a lonely basalt eruption was built into its current form by the Zajíc family (German hare = der Hase), after which it also bears its name. After a tumultuous history and several changes of owners, the castle was abandoned.
At the end of the 19th century, Házmburk became infamous for its extensive landslides, which are shrouded in legends about the opening of a mountain with miraculous treasures. The ruins are among the most visited monuments in the Ústí nad Labem region due to their romance and distant views of the landscape from the high castle tower.
Czech Grand Canyon - this is the quarry of Great America
The place where Lemonade Joe was filmed, but also the former destination of uncomfortable political prisoners.
These are all limestone quarries Great America, Little America and Mexico.
A little more distant, but very beautiful limestone quarry Great America is located in the district of Beroun in the village Mořina.
The quarry belongs to the Protected Landscape Area and its size is about 750x150 meters. The depth of the quarry is usually in the range of 67 to 80 meters, and the bottom is 322 meters above sea level.
The quarry is flooded by a stagnant lake and in the spring you can observe a lot of colorful colors accompanied by singing birds.
"What to Muhammad Mecca, to Bohemia Říp"
Mount Říp is a mountain visible from afar (456 m above sea level) with a Romanesque rotunda at the top. Rotunda of St. Jiří is one of the oldest preserved buildings in the Czech Republic.
According to legend, the ancestor of Bohemia came here, overlooked the surrounding landscape and decided to settle here. Říp Hill with a rotunda is protected as a national cultural monument.
Several marked hiking trails lead to the mountain.
If you choose the undemanding blue from Roudnice nad Labem, you will be guided by the so-called Čech Alley, which offers a stop at the pleasant Štípárna pub in Vesce, and further to Rovné pod Řípem.
From here you continue towards the foot of Mount Říp and then climb through the forest to the very top.
At the top there are several viewpoints, namely Roudnická, Mělnická and Pražská. You will have distant panoramic views of the Bohemian Central Mountains or the deep forests of the Kokořín region.
Just below the top of Mount Říp and the rotunda of St. Over the years, Jiří has been standing mostly a wooden cottage with elements of Art Nouveau and folklore.
According to available sources, it was built in 1909 by the Czech Tourists Club. The cottage offers a pleasant sitting with refreshments.
If you decide to conquer Mount Říp from another side, try it from the village of Ctiněves. You will walk through a smaller alley that leads to a chapel built in 2017 by local enthusiasts.
On the way back, be sure to visit the Podřipský family mini-brewery, where it brews one of the best beers in the Podřipsko region.
The fortress was founded in 1780 by Maria Theresa. In 1782 it was declared a free royal city.
The emperor named the town in honor of his mother, Empress Maria Theresa (while the sister fortress Josefov in Eastern Bohemia was named after himself).
In 1790, the fortress was able to defend. The purpose of the fortress was to protect the access roads through which enemy troops advanced during the Prussian-Austrian wars in the 18th century.
The fortress was built at the very end of the era of bastion fortifications, and therefore represents a world-class fortress system. However, she never fulfilled her defensive military mission (but later proved to be an excellent dungeon and an infamous prison).
Approximately 15,000 people worked on the construction of their own fortress with an annual consumption of around 20 million bricks.
Due to the construction of the fortress, the Ohře river was transferred to an artificial riverbed a few hundred meters further east (the original river flow roughly passed through the area of today's square).
The garrison of the fortress was to consist of about 11,000 men during the war. The defense system consists of the Main Fortress on the left bank of the New Ohře and the Small Fortress on the right bank of the Old Ohře.
The main fortress has the shape of an octagon, stretching in the directions from north to south, pentagonal bastions protrude from all the courtyards.
The total length of the fortress wall, approximately 30 m thick, is 3770 meters.
Other elements of the fortifications were placed in the ditches in front of the main defensive line.
The small fortress had the shape of a slightly diverging rectangle, supplemented by two semi-bastions and two pentagonal bastions.
The Terezín fortifications contained a total of 55 fortifications and contained 136 underground spaces interconnected by a system of underground corridors reaching a total length of 29 kilometers.
Four gates led to the fortress, each seated between two bastions: Litoměřická, Pražská, Horní and Dolní.
Inside the main fortress there is a fortress town with a regular floor plan and the streets at right angles, the walls of the individual buildings are very strong and massive.
It is an important architectural and technical monument. Together with the "sister" fortress Josefov, this is a very interesting document of fortress construction from the end of the 18th century.
During World War II, the Great Fortress on the left bank of the river served Nazi Germany as a Jewish ghetto.
The small fortress on the right bank of the Ohře River, located by the road to Prague, then became famous as the Prague Gestapo prison (it is often incorrectly stated that a concentration camp was set up here).
For these purposes, the Nazis set up a special railway siding, which led from the nearby town of Bohušovice nad Ohří from the south to the southern walls of the Great Fortress.
During World War II, the Nazis took the Jewish population concentrated here from the city streets by special transport trains directly to the extermination camps of Auschwitz, Majdanek, Treblinka, Sobibor, Chelmno and others,
located in Poland and other occupied territories of Eastern Europe.
The Terezín Memorial has now been established in the Small Fortress and the building is now also a National Cultural Monument.
Today, the city no longer serves the army, all three large barracks and the former military hospital now serve other purposes.
One of the barracks, one of the depositories of the Prague National Museum, is located in one of the barracks.
The departure of the Army of the Czech Republic greatly affected the city.
The whole town and its surroundings were severely damaged by floods on the lower Elbe in 2002.
The local cannery also terminated its operation in the 1990s and the former Terezín State Veterinary Institute was relocated to nearby Lovosice (and subsequently privatized).
As a result of the economic transformation, the former state-owned company Zelenina Terezín, which was located in a large area between Terezín and Bohušovice nad Ohří until the early 1990s,
also underwent significant changes.
The Ohře River Basin and the Retirement Home of the Capital City of Prague are still based in the city.
The former state-owned pharmaceutical company Bioveta Terezín was also transformed into Dyntec.
Thanks to the newly opened section of the D8 motorway in the Doksany-Lovosice section in 1998, there was also a very significant decrease in transit traffic,
which until then ran directly through the city on the former state road 8 and the international road E 55 (now road 608) -Teplice-Dresden.
A golf course was created in the so-called Terezín Basin towards Litoměřice in the area of the former military training ground,
and a paintball field was built on the other bank of the Ohře River on the other military training ground.
The entire western part of the town towards Lovosice is occupied by the local settlement of Crete, which is now an integral part of it,
although it is actually located behind the walls of the Great Fortress (respectively on the remains of its demolished walls).
There is a local elementary school Terezín, a local football field, a car camp, a waterworks and the area of the former Military Hospital Terezín.
To commemorate the liberation of the city by the Red Army and the end of the local hardships on May 8, 1945, a stage cycling Youth Peace Race,
later renamed the Junior Peace Race, has been held in the city every year since the beginning of May.
Since 2003, a local theater association has been operating in Terezín - the TMA Theater, which has revived the tradition of amateurs in the city almost twenty years later.